Sunday, February 27, 2011

Truth Wins

I first was introduced to Rob Bell as a senior in high school. His NOOMA videos were creative and intriguing. I had never seen a teaching style like his before and like countless others I was hooked. I knew at this time that I was going to be a part of church and teaching would be a large part of my ministry. I made a decision: I want to teach like Rob Bell.

There has been a lot said the past couple days about Rob Bell’s latest book. There are a few things I would like to contribute to the conversation. You know if I felt compelled enough to blog, I must REALLY want to say something.


1. Rob Bell is great at engaging in spiritual discussion

No doubt, this was what attracted me to him. He approached life, spiritual matters, and the Bible in a way that was different than anything I had seen before. My freshmen year of college I led a NOOMA study with some of my pledge brothers in my fraternity. We had some really great discussion spring forth from some of his videos.

2. Rob Bell fails at bringing his message to the cross

That being said, Rob Bell is a heretic. His messages are intriguing because they begin to explore difficult ideas and concepts. The error of never bringing the discussion ultimately to the gospel is inexcusable. Rob Bell’s teaser video for his latest book proves him to be a Universalist. The evangelical world should not look to Rob Bell for theological guidance. He should resign as a pastor and he should not pose as an evangelical Christian any longer.

3. No man is a hero or a villain

We can learn something from this situation. Our tendency as fallen man is to elevate some to status of “hero” that can do no wrong and place others in a category of “villain.” In this situation, you will see some Christians hopelessly defend Rob Bell. Others will throw stones at him. The polarizing views in many ways show how there are some who are faithful to the man because he is their hero and others will seek to crucify him because he is their villain. No man’s ministry, theology or life is worth exalting or condemning. However, we as Christians must identify those that are teaching contrary to what Scriptures teach.

Rob Bell at one point was a hero in my life. I wanted to mimic my teaching ministry after him. I remember watching some of his NOOMA videos and thinking in the back of my mind “something is off here…” I am very grateful that we live in an age where there is so much bible teaching available for free online. While Christians must guard themselves from living off of others teaching, it saved me from becoming like Rob Bell. Another pastor pointed out flaws in Rob Bell’s “Velvet Elvis” that I did not see in my reading. This was the first time that I saw a Christian pastor identifying another Christian pastor as having poor theology. I am grateful this pastor had the courage to identify Rob Bell’s errors because I assumed there were none.

How should we as Christians respond to Rob Bell? Identify him for what he is: a heretic. However, do not miss the opportunity to learn from the man. Bell does a great job at engaging the spiritual discussion. The bigger lesson to learn: Truth wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment